Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Diodes and (poly) fuses, week 41 (part 1)

This week has been a hacking week.
I repaired an old charger for a small fork lift, and finally fixed instability of my Raspberry-PI board.
First the battery charger, an old 30 Ampere 24 Volt charger for a small fork lift.

After switching it on, the lights would light up, some clicks would follow (detecting the battery and voltage), and then a low hum (transformer overloading) followed by a flash of the fuse exploding (on the circuitboard in the charger).

After some investigation I found out that the rectifier bridge was bad, just one diode had failed and was completely shorted out, I have no clue why this happened at that moment, maybe just a cosmic ray or a spike somewhere, nobody can tell.

The diode was a BYD57-200 (that is a press-fit 200 Volt 35 Amp version).
Going through the usual catalogs online (Farnell/RS/Reichelt/Conrad) it appeared that nobody was selling these anymore.

I ended up buying one at Brigatti in Eindhoven ( http://www.brigatti.nl/ ) it is a 30 minute drive, so I just visited the shop, they charged me 24 euro for 1 diode.

After the diode was replaced the charger was back, no more fuses exploding.
Some nice pictures of the process, the rectifier dis-assembly.













Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Denon DHT T100 DESIGNED TO FAIL : bad caps (ceramic caps this time)

A friend gave me a Denon DHT-T100 to look at.
Do not spend much time on it.. ok.


It had a problem, it started clicking and ticking after power on, and after some time.
(a so called intermittent problem)

Sometimes it did not tick or click, but it was basically not usable.
The clicking had a sharp click in one channel and repeated after about a second, then sound recovered and it would click and drop out again.

He told me, do not spend any time on it, yeah, right. ;-) like I would give up after 15 minutes.
I wanted to know what was going on with this thing, I found some schematic online and started measuring the usual things.

The power supply, 24V did it drop down when a tick occurred ? Difficult to find out because sometimes the thing would play for hours without a glitch.

I eventually found out the 24 V PSU, the step down SMPS on board and the LDO's were all ok, all power rails remained within spec, but it still glitched sometimes. (while power was ok)

I investigated methodically,…

Raspberry Pi, PyFace Digital, the lost documentation, I found it finally

The Raspberry PI or R-pi from http://www.raspberrypi.org/ is well known these days.
It is not an accident that I have one, I have been doing Linux stuff since 1991, and professionally since 1996 I can not skip over these developments, have to keep up with the new kids. :-)
Times have changed, hardware has become very affordable, everybody knows the Arduino, Raspberry Pi and Beagle-Bone-Black (BBB). Not everybody knows the stuff that http://www.acmesystems.it/ aka Acme-Systems and https://github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO aka Olimex make, so I will endorse them here.
Since I am an engineer I expect to connect switches and relays to the boards and some documentation with products, not so with the "PiFace Digital" board, it comes without serious documentation, not a even the schematic. All links on their blog point nowhere. People asked them many times, yet nowhere is the schematic to be found.

I finally found some info after hours of google-work, someone made a copy!
https://github.c…

ESP32 IDF master update troubles (and fix)

I am using ESP32 IDF for some private experiments. (more info later)

I really like it, not like some Arduino hobby IDE, that is a  half done, non-professional project.
I see a lot of people writing stuff like "do ESP32 in Arduino" this is completely backwards, you should avoid anything Arduino-related. You can not use Arduino in a real project, it can not be controlled, it is doing "magic" things and breaks everytime. You guessed it: I do not like it. ;-)

The ESP-IDF works really well uses cmake, is well documented, I use visual studio code insiders or clion van jetbrains to coordinate my coding and GIT to store my stuff.

I am really impressed with how well it works. Including flash-upload, debugging all works fine.

A few days ago I updated the IDF to the latest version and got errors:


$ git checkout master
$ git pull

remote: Enumerating objects: 1492, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (1492/1492), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (213/213), done.
remote: Total…