Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

ESP32 IDF master update troubles (and fix)

I am using ESP32 IDF for some private experiments. (more info later)

I really like it, not like some Arduino hobby IDE, that is a  half done, non-professional project.
I see a lot of people writing stuff like "do ESP32 in Arduino" this is completely backwards, you should avoid anything Arduino-related. You can not use Arduino in a real project, it can not be controlled, it is doing "magic" things and breaks everytime. You guessed it: I do not like it. ;-)

The ESP-IDF works really well uses cmake, is well documented, I use visual studio code insiders or clion van jetbrains to coordinate my coding and GIT to store my stuff.

I am really impressed with how well it works. Including flash-upload, debugging all works fine.

A few days ago I updated the IDF to the latest version and got errors:

$ git checkout master
$ git pull

remote: Enumerating objects: 1492, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (1492/1492), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (213/213), done.
remote: Total 1941 (delta 1294), reused 1463 (delta 1271), pack-reused 449
Receiving objects: 100% (1941/1941), 407.91 KiB | 1.70 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (1466/1466), completed with 597 local objects.
   39f090a4f..a7e8d87d3  master       -> origin/master
... lots of info

$ git submodule update --init --recursive


error: Server does not allow request for unadvertised object 7f8c86e501e690301630029fa9bae22424adf618
Fetched in submodule path 'ext/tinydtls', but it did not contain 7f8c86e501e690301630029fa9bae22424adf618. Direct fetching of that commit failed.

I never have seen that before...

Some time spent digging arround on google revealed a solution here :

It appears some module has moved its github location.
I can not build, even when I disable libcoap in my project, so I had to fix this issue.

The FIX :
Go the correct directory and tell git the origin

~/esp/esp-idf/components/coap/libcoap/ext/tinydtls$ git remote set-url origin

Then update everything again.

~/esp/esp-idf$ git submodule update --init --recursive
remote: Enumerating objects: 41, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (41/41), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (5/5), done.
remote: Total 92 (delta 37), reused 38 (delta 36), pack-reused 51
Unpacking objects: 100% (92/92), done.
   9a34961..494a40d  develop    -> origin/develop
Submodule path 'components/coap/libcoap/ext/tinydtls': checked out '7f8c86e501e690301630029fa9bae22424adf618'

Now all is fine with the world again.
Hope this helps someone, I spent quite some time find the right solution.
Happy coding,
Edwin.. OETEL-X


Unknown zei…
Would like to connect with Edwin. I am seeking help on a project you may have expertise in! I am in USA. THANKS
#oetelx zei…
You can reach me here : edwin @ oetelaar dot com
#oetelx zei…
I never got an email? Did it go into the spam-filter or was it not sent. We will never know. Maybe a subject using #oetelx would help to pass through the magic gateway.

Populaire posts van deze blog

Denon DHT T100 DESIGNED TO FAIL : bad caps (ceramic caps this time)

A friend gave me a Denon DHT-T100 to look at. Do not spend much time on it.. ok. It had a problem, it started clicking and ticking after power on, and after some time. (a so called intermittent problem) Sometimes it did not tick or click, but it was basically not usable. The clicking had a sharp click in one channel and repeated after about a second, then sound recovered and it would click and drop out again. He told me, do not spend any time on it, yeah, right. ;-) like I would give up after 15 minutes. I wanted to know what was going on with this thing, I found some schematic online and started measuring the usual things. The power supply, 24V did it drop down when a tick occurred ? Difficult to find out because sometimes the thing would play for hours without a glitch. I eventually found out the 24 V PSU, the step down SMPS on board and the LDO's were all ok, all power rails remained within spec, but it still glitched sometimes. (while power was ok) I investigat

Fixed voltage on cheap buck converter (MP1584) conversion with single 0805 resistor

Everywhere I look on the Ali and Ebays I see these step down converters based on MP1584. I bought a couple and actually they are not bad at all. The output voltage is set by the trimming-resistor in the left top corner of the picture. This works OK, but.. it is dangerous because it is rather sensitive to the touch. I decided that I wanted fixed output, so I had to figure out how this thing worked. The datasheet looks like this : R1 in the datasheet is what I call "R feedback" in my image. The value of R2 is mostly 8.2K Ohm in the boards I have seen.  So to set some common values for output voltage: change R1 to 27K for 3V3 output (actually 3.4 volt, but 27K is a standard value) or change R1 to 43K0 for 5.0 Volt output. (43 K is a standard value) A standard 0805 size resistor fits precisely, how convenient ;-). Make sure the other resistor is really 8.2K because that determines the feedback ratio. This way you can not burn up your circ

Laptop repair (MSI 1035 OEM) saved money again

Today I repaired my laptop. It was not working anymore, completely dead. Here is a link to the manufacturer : It is an old one, it does not support Virtualbox, but runs Debian just fine. I like it because it has a 17" screen, nice to work in bed, full size keyboard too. Searching for problems without any schematic is just gambling so I postponed it. I found a YouTube channel by Louis Rossmann who repairs laptops, and he got some schematics from a website : I ordered my schematics for about 10 euro. I got 57 pages of PDF. I had to take apart the whole laptop to get near the actual hardware. I took my time, did not break any plastic tabs off.. And after what seemed like an hour I was where I needed to be. I started at the beginning, the power input and verified it. 19.14 volts. At the end of the